Now what the hell do I mean by this blog title? Well, last
Wednesday after our full day of class, we had a networking night round 2 again. This event took place in the Marquee at Sheridan. Past grads came back to
talk with us, give advice, and in some cases an interview! My fellow 7
classmates, yes my class is that small that we can all fit in the same
elevator, were sitting at tables and the past grads rotated through. Now the
next question I will answer is the net-TWERK part. As we all know, or in some
cases actually you may not know, but TWERKING is a racy dance move. How does a
racy dance move have to do with a networking night? Simple, because it’s an
art. Watch below to see what I mean...
After watching that video, think you could
do that on the first try? If you can, then you’re superwoman and the rest of
us, it takes practice to master. Kind of like the way networking works. You
need to practice talking to people. Sounds kind of silly because we have been
speaking since we were born. I mean you need to learn the proper interpersonal
skills and interview skills that show you are a confident and amazing human
being, without sounding too cocky of course. I can be thankful that my previous
work experience has already given me a lot of these skills. I work at The Keg
Steakhouse and I am a cocktail waitress. I speak to so many people every shift
and all age ranges. This has given me some valuable tools when it comes to
personal interaction. I have learned how to style flex. Style flex is a fancy
term I just learned in my sales class. The funny thing is I didn’t realize I
was doing it until I learned there’s a proper term for it.
Back
to the networking night itself… I found it very beneficial. Take a look at my
horrible videographer skills.
I gained a lot of insight on the industry and I feel grateful that these people, out of the goodness of their hearts, came and chose to speak with us newbees. Everyone was so friendly and extremely willing to help us out and answer every question we had. I learned something about the media industry too. I know my teacher, Colin, would be proud to read, that I have now added media planning to a possible career choice. Although he’s been an advocate since day one, I guess I needed further convincing. Also, out of this night, I got an interview for an internship. Yay, my first interview for the industry! It was at Simon Pure Marketing, which is an awesome promotional and experiential agency. I also feel really grateful for the experience, and being offered this position or not, I have full faith that whatever unfolds in front of me is surely to be amazing. I have high hopes for my future. I’m just getting started :)
I gained a lot of insight on the industry and I feel grateful that these people, out of the goodness of their hearts, came and chose to speak with us newbees. Everyone was so friendly and extremely willing to help us out and answer every question we had. I learned something about the media industry too. I know my teacher, Colin, would be proud to read, that I have now added media planning to a possible career choice. Although he’s been an advocate since day one, I guess I needed further convincing. Also, out of this night, I got an interview for an internship. Yay, my first interview for the industry! It was at Simon Pure Marketing, which is an awesome promotional and experiential agency. I also feel really grateful for the experience, and being offered this position or not, I have full faith that whatever unfolds in front of me is surely to be amazing. I have high hopes for my future. I’m just getting started :)
Until next time,
M
Gah! I am featured in your video! #IamFamous
ReplyDeleteP.s I enjoyed reading your post Maria! Congrats on the Interview <3