So I'm writing to you this week on a topic that I hope to get involved with when I branch out into the big bad advertising industry. PSA advertisements, to be exact, are my sh!t. By that statement I mean that this is the EXACT type of work I would love to do and be involved with. For those of you who are unfamiliar with PSA, it stands for Public Service Announcement. These ads are based on social issues that need to be brought to the attention of the public. They are typically apart of a public awareness campaign and are meant to inform and educate people like you and I. Many of these ads are extremely powerful and play on our emotional heart strings. Take a look at this one that the NFL aired from the 2015 Superbowl on domestic violence.
That my friends right there is a masterpiece. I got chills watching it because it has such a powerful message. When you first watch it, you're kind of confused as to where the advertisers are going with this idea about the whole ordering pizza conversation. Then eventually, we come to realize that she is using it as a code to let the police know she is having an emergency. That being said, this advertisement in my opinion was extremely effective and appropriate. When we look at the target audience for this PSA, it can be safely assumed that the target is males and females aged 25+ that may be in serious relationships. This ad is clearly not for a younger audience due to the content and being able to comprehend the conversation. Looking at the medium used, it was television as it was aired during the Superbowl. Many people in this target would be watching the game while attending Superbowl parties. Sure it is easy, in this case, for an unintended audience such as children to possibly see this advertisement if they are at the same party as their parents. For the most part, I think the intended audience would most likely be the ones tuned in because on another note the game runs a bit later in the evening, decreasing the likelihood of a younger audience. The message is clear that even though you may feel like you can't say something in a situation like that, there are ways around to keep yourself safe and it is the duty of our law enforcement to, in some cases, read between the lines.
It is brilliant ads like this that remind me why I love advertising. It is a beautifully creative way to inspire change in people and that, I have concluded, is my calling. I have a deep seeded passion to inspire and motivate people. I want to inspire others through positive messages and create awareness on topics that are affecting our society. It is through awareness that we can make change happen & I can't wait to be apart of that.
Thanks for reading,
M

No comments:
Post a Comment