Friday, 13 March 2015

Nailed It!

After reading this post, I want you to come out of your next interview being able to say "NAILED IT"! My last post spoke of the art that is networking and I also briefly mentioned my interview at Simon Pure. That being said, I figured I’d write a few interviewing tips that I found helpful to help me prepare. Like I stated before, networking comes with practice and through practice you will be able to engage in meaningful conversations that will elicit potential business relationships. Another fine art in the advertising industry is your ability to interview well. Interviewing to many, is a scary process. I mean the spotlight is solely focused on you and you need to be okay with that. You need to be a good salesman to your potential employer and sell yourself. It can be hard to do for many because many of us don’t necessarily enjoy talking about how great we are. But I think if it comes from a genuine place as to why you’re so awesome, why WOULDN’T you tell them all the things that make you so wonderful?!

         Here’s a few tips for you to help you nail your next interview:

#1. Research the company. Knowledge is power and knowing about the company you could be working for only shows that you took the initiative to look them up and now you can give them the authentic reasons why you want to work for the woman/man sitting in front of you. Being able to demonstrate how your personal values align with that of the company only exhibits how great of a fit you are. Plus if they ask you questions, you don’t want to draw a blank here.

#2.  Practice some possible questions ahead of time. I know what you’re thinking, why would I tell you to almost fabricate a script? No that’s not what I’m saying. I think it’s a solid idea to practice potential questions only because sometimes let’s face it, nerves get the best of us and we can struggle to answer. If you have an idea of the main points you want them to know about you, it can only help you be ready and smoothly answer anything they ask.

#3. Be Authentic. This one’s simple. Be YOU. Don’t be a mould of who you think they want you to be. At the end of the day, you want to be able to be yourself in all aspects of your life and you are pretty damn' awesome!

#4. Bring a hard copy of your resume or portfolio. In case they didn’t print one off you have one available. Also your portfolio displays your best work, which is a key self selling feature. So show off your proudest work.

#5. Ask questions and bring a note pad. Writing down information they give you so you don’t forget only makes you look very into the interview and that you hold it as highly important. Asking questions shows you have a mind of your own and you’re interested in an unanswered aspect of the company.  

& last one.. drum roll please…

#6. Breathe. Don’t sweat it too much. Know you are a capable human being and this isn’t life or death. The person in front of you is just that.. A PERSON.



Hope those tips help you!


M

No comments:

Post a Comment