Thursday, 19 March 2015

WAH..But I'm not a Sales Woman!

At the beginning of this semester, my instructor in my Professional Sales class, who by the way is actually so awesome, told us we had an assignment that coincides with the Oakville Beaver. My first thought is, okay that's pretty cool that we get to work with an actual newspaper to gain some real world experience. That was until I found out that we were expected to sell advertising space in a special Convocation Sheridan issue in the newspaper, to prospective clients. My second thought, "ugh but I'm not a saleswoman. I hate selling people sh!t". That right there is straight up honesty, I had no desire to call clients to sell anything. I don't like being sold to, so why would I want to do it to someone else?

Luckily, this is an assignment for school, so my hand was forced to make some calls. My partner and I gathered at my house to review the facts about what we were selling and then we split the list and started calling the client list we received from our rep at the Oakville Beaver we were assigned to work with. Not going to lie, my heart was racing the first few calls. A lot goes through your head. The person could reject me or not be interested. Then it hit me...so what?! That's the worst thing that could happen is that they aren't interested? Then my motto in life would come into play, "ON to the next one". These sales calls were not life or death and ended up being pretty fun. I say fun because I finally made a few sales and that my friends, that actually felt really good! I sold the highest priced advertising spot with my first client! That was a win for me and my partner! I guess what I took from this whole experience is that doing things that make you uncomfortable forces you to grow as a person and can end up giving you some earned confidence. I have a new found respect for people in sales and realize the hard ass work it can be to be successful. I think I'll change that title to, "I CAN be a sales woman, if I want to".

Lesson Learned--> Do something that challenges you and puts you out of your comfort zone. That is the only way we can grow. 

Until Next Time!
M

No comments:

Post a Comment