Wednesday, 21 January 2015

My First Networking Event

So tonight at the Marquee at Sheridan, I went to my first advertising networking event. At first, I was slightly apprehensive, or maybe more so nervous. I thought to myself, what am I going to talk to all these industry people about? Coming from a Kinesiology background, not being too exposed to all things advertising, and I am now in an extensive Post Graduate Program for Advertising Account Management. I'm sure you can see why I felt slightly overwhelmed.

Luckily, my good friend Lindsay is ironically taking this program with me, so we tackled the event together. Now, you're probably thinking, what do I mean by a networking event? Essentially, there were marketing communications professionals from a wide range of over 30 different companies. The purpose of this event was to mix and mingle with these professionals as they were donating their time to answer any and all of our questions. My nerves were easily calmed after the first table I went to. I thought to myself that the first guy I met was extremely nice and welcoming. I quickly realized that every professional there was just that, nice and willing to offer any advice and answer all the questions I had. One slight regret I had was that I hadn't had a chance to really fix up my resume, so I went home and ended up fixing that up right away and am going to brainstorm with my best friend, Alex (<-- check her out :) , who is an amazing graphic designer, to create a personal brand for my resume and business cards. Although I did hand out a couple of my resumes, I still felt extremely satisfied with my first networking experience and am looking forward to future events, now that I know what to expect.


Selfie Time Linds & I
Sheridan Students mixing and mingling

1 comment: