Life as a post grad athlete. Blogging about fitness, inspiration, motivation and all things advertising.
Sunday, 25 January 2015
Kinesiologist Turns Advertiser... Come Again?
You read the blog title correctly. Yes I am a Kinesiologist turned Advertiser. I find myself compelled here to mention my not so very straight path that landed me at Sheridan College. Never did I ever think attending college was in my future. I graduated with an Honours Specialization in Kinesiology from UWO. My next steps involved taking a year off and then applying for Grad School in Occupational Therapy. After a strenuous year at McMaster trying to upgrade, I applied and was luckily denied entry (the average was 90%+). I use the word luckily because that denial forced me to explore other options for my future. I thought about what else I liked to..which mainly included inspiring and motivating people, being creative, working in groups, being social, etc. I had done a career test before applying to grad school which had advertising on the list of careers someone my age with my personality traits would enjoy. That right there pushed me to look online for advertising or marketing programs. After discussing with some friends that went to Sheridan and talking to the very helpful Sheridan guidance counsellor, I started to feel really excited thinking about Advertising as a career choice. I finally applied and ironically found out that a good friend of mine was also going to be going through the same program as me!
Now I was a college student. I never thought twice about college when I attended Western, and now I'm thinking why didn't I think about it sooner?! I love the Advertising Account Management Program and the tools I have been provided to ensure a successful path in the advertising industry. I originally thought college would be a walk in the park for me, but was I ever wrong. Sheridan is an amazing school that really has taught me so much already and really tests my time management skills. I have been gaining so much useful insight and hands on experience, all of which I never experienced at university. I have been given material that I will apply directly into my new career. The thing I love most about Sheridan is they prepare you for exactly what you will encounter in the real world. All my professors have been immersed in the advertising industry and you won't find better knowledge and expertise to learn from. At times I do feel overwhelmed with the workload, but at the end of the day, it'll make me better in my career. I have thought about what I'm interested in career wise, and so far those include Public Relations, Account Manager for an advertising agency (PSAs or Not For Profits), and of course due to my athletic background my dream job would be to represent sport accounts such as Nike or Under Armour. I'm looking forward to continue learning this semester and expand on the knowledge I've already been taught. I'm confident I have found a career path and passion that will fulfill the things I had been looking for in a career. Sometimes I look back and I can't believe I am where I am, but I know I'm sure glad I got here.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment